Wednesday, March 19, 2008

UNRECOGNIZABLE!

I hope everyone is having a great week. We have another new member to add to our knitting family. Steph had her baby yesterday at around 10:30 am. I can't wait to see cute little Jackson. I will post a picture here asap. Momma and baby are doing fine and so is dad! My camera is deciding not to cooperate this week. My computer says it can't recognize it sooo picture's will have to wait till next time... The apartment upstairs is coming together, two rooms are done and its looking nicer each day...It's unrecognizable also......The lucky person who rents it will have a whole new house and it's even above a yarn shop! I have to say I'm not sure I would be able to pay my bills if I lived above a yarn shop..HA! Yarn Yarn Yarn everywhere!


Just a reminder: JoAnne's class on Wednesday nights will be making this cute bag in April. We can't wait! I will give you an exact date when it gets closer.


Below is a free pattern I love. I can't get the picture to stay here for some reason..(Computers can drive ya nuts!!) I will post the picture in your email though and I'm sure you will like it too.

TODDLER FELT HAT
The following pattern will make a hat that has about a 17" circumference depending on how much you felt it.

Materials: 1-4oz. skein of Steadfast Fibers Wonderful Wool or any other worsted
weight yarn.
Needles: US# 8 16” round and set of four US #8 double pointed or size to meet
gauge
Gauge: 4 stitches per inch

Cast on 90 st on 16” round needles. Place marker and join making sure there are no twists in the row. Knit around until the piece measures 7” or desired length. In the next row, *knit 8 st then knit two stitches together * and repeat the section between the stars until you have finished the row. Knit the next row around. The next row *knit 7 st then knit two together* repeat around. Knit the next row. *Knit 6 st, knit two together* around. Knit next row. You get the idea. Continue reducing rows of K5, K2 tog, K4, K2 tog, K3, K2 tog with each reducing row divided by a row of regular knitting. Change to double pointed needles when necessary. Continue reducing every row with no row in between until you have knit two together all the way around. Break the yarn, draw the end through the remaining stitches and tie it off. Weave in the ends and you’re ready to felt!

Felting!

Get the hat soaking wet and place in a dyer set on high with either soaking wet old towels (no fresh linty ones) or soaking wet blue jeans. Heat and mechanical action felt wool. Let the cycle run for about 15 minutes, then open and check on progress. When the hat is the size you want (but still damp) remove from the dryer, otherwise, keep the dryer going and check every 3-5 minutes (less time the closer the hat gets to size).

Hat should still be damp! Do not allow the hat to actually get dry. Roll brim of hat upwards to shape, then set on flat surface to dry undisturbed. After about a ½ day, check on dryness. Turn hat over (brim in the air) to dry the inside.

Curly cues are in two of Nicky Epstein’s books, Knitted Embellishments and Knitting on the Edge.



You can google knitted curly cues and find a pattern online for them... I hope you all have a great weekend (and Easter) and I hope to see you soon...Donna

No comments: